According to it’s website:
“In July of that year, the David Crockett Steam Fire Company No. 1 got its start when twenty-seven men of the village of Mechanickham organized to protect their families and homes from the ravages of fire. The organization then known as the Gretna Fire Company operated as a bucket brigade for its initial three years until, in 1844, the year of its incorporation, a hand pumper was purchased, which drew water from wells dug in the streets and back yard cisterns.”
Eventually a station would be established close to the Mississippi River and, in 1874, the Fire Company added the name of the famous frontiersman to its title. In 1983, both the original station and its oldest equipment were placed on the National Register of Historic Places.